Skip to main content

Circe

 Circe

By Madeline Miller


Bold action and bold manner are not the same.

  
  I read this as a sort of pallet cleanser in-between two more challenging or in depth stories, and it served its purpose for sure! Another greek mythology ready, but more mythology-y than than its other siblings The Song of Achilles.  I have to say I was inspired to read is because I'd been listing to the Epic Musical and this book had some of those characters in this book, so fun cross-over there. 

I enjoyed this read but the whole time thought I felt like I was still waiting for the story to start. When Circe was banished to Aiaia, I thought "oh finally, the story its picking up", but then I still was left wondering what the point was, why Madeline Miller was writing this story like this, but then it dawned on me. Why are any books written? To tell a story, and this is just Circe's story, so I was happy to kinda go with the flow from that point on. 

    Lots of beautiful quotes are in this novel, and a few small stories about family, monsters, and love, as the doom of someone living forever but being surrounded by mortals, and about motherhood. It was a good short read, but I don't think it's something you absolutely have to have on your shelf. 

:)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ender's Game vs. Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow

 Ender's Game and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Orson Scott Card and Gabrielle Zevin Welcome to the human race. Nobody controls his own life. The best you can do is choose to fill the roles given you by good people, by people who love you. On the surface level, Enders Game and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow  have nothing  in common. In fact, the only reason  I even thought about these two books being comparable  was because I read them  one after another, and both had an impact  on me, but I wasn't sure what is was.  Enders Game  is a science fiction novel written in 1985, and is about one boy, Ender, being the only hope for the human race to defeat a war against a bee-like alien species. The training for this was was done through strategy games and fake battles, and training began at 6 years old for Ender.  Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow is realistic fiction and about two people coming together and creating a game that turns into a successful business but also

What If's

What If's By Ashley The Science Fiction and Fantasy genre's of literature can be hard to describe. They can take place anywhere, in space, under water, virtual realities, or nowhere at all, in some made up place like Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings. One author, Veronica Roth, described it as the genre of "What If's". What if these certain worldly limitations vanished, or what if humanity discovered this new technology, what if something or everything was different, what would it do to humanity. Authors make us these scenarios and let it play out, focusing in on one character living in that "What If", and playing out how they would respond.  Thats what makes this genre so special, there are no rules and authors play gods. For me, the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy is that in Science Fiction, those "What If's" come from a new discovery, something that someone discovered and explored and it changed the world as we know it. In

A Catcher in the Rye

  A Catcher in the Rye.   By J.D Salinger I loved this book the first time I read it, but I remember being more confused than anything. I didn't understand the complex emotions Holden was going through, and I felt lost most of the time, but I was in high school at the time, and didn't have much real world experience. This time though, it was hard to read but was impossible to put down. Thats the beauty of re-reading books after time has past, it always hit you a little different. But Holden went through a lot of things I can relate to. The way he thinks, the way he was alone, the way he kept asking the wrong people for company and attention.  Maybe thats not something I want to admit to though, after looking into more of the history and effect this book has had on pop culture, apparently its been the backbone or justification or murders who probably felt the world was full of "phonies" just like Holden did. It's beeb banned and unbanned throughout its life because